We are looking for an intern to help organize a large scale art/activist installation in the heart of NYC (probably Times Square) that engages with issues of plastic pollution. The intern would be the face for many interactions with the public and the City, and would help with the day to day logistics of coordinating the installation.
He or she would work directly with the founders of Trashpatch.org, a do-tank dedicated to raising awareness of plastic pollution in the environment through art and design, with Agent Of Change (AOC), a company that produces major events in NYC, and with the Plastic Pollution Coalition, an global organization fighting plastic pollution. This position will include interacting with heads of organizations as well as volunteers.
- expand the network of the Plastic Pollution Coalition via social media, press releases, meetings and public events;
- collaborate with local organizations;
- research and navigate the multilayered network of the City of New York and its laws and regulations;
- work to convey environmental messages
The intern will be able to work towards his or her strengths and any unique attributes he or she brings to the job; while many tasks are defined in advance, the position is also flexible to accommodate innovation.
Desirable Skills and Qualifications:
- experience, interest, or other commitment to the environment or social justice, especially plastic pollution;
- excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both written and verbal;
- social media skills;
- website development and design;
- other computer skills, including web research, word processing, presentation software;
- resides in NYC or surrounding area
The intern would work through the Fall semester with possible extension to April 2012, 5-10 hours a week. Start date is somewhat flexible. This is an unpaid position.
Please send a CV and cover letter to Manuel Mansylla at email@example.com