We are pleased to announce Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) support for Plastic Free Campuses!
The agency has awarded funding to Plastic Pollution Coalition (PPC) and four other mission-driven organizations, all members of PPC—the Product Stewardship Institute (PSI), As You Sow, the Clean Water Fund, and the California Product Stewardship Council (CPSC)—to collaborate on a plan to expand the program to the UC campuses at Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, and San Francisco.
As partners, these organizations will work together to create and implement a program to reduce plastic pollution at the source. Each organization brings a unique set of skills and expertise to the table, ensuring that the project is strong, robust, and successful. Goals include:
- Expanding and scaling up PPC’s Plastic Free Campuses program to three UC campuses using PPC’s plastic footprinting tool;
- Working with publicly owned fast food chains located on participating UC campuses to switch out plastic food service packaging for alternative, more environmentally preferable packaging—a task led by As You Sow;
- Working with food service providers on campus to switch out plastic food service packaging for paper-based alternatives—a task led by PSI;
- Developing toolkits for UC procurement staff to help them purchase alternatives to disposable items—a task led by California Product Stewardship Council;
- Developing a legislative policy model for source reduction, presenting this model on a webinar, and distributing it to municipalities—a task led by the Clean Water Fund.
We look forward to expanding the program to campuses around the world. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your ideas or partnership opportunities.